To receive regular updates,
fill in your details below.
You will also receive a PDF listing
8 Ways to Ignite your Translation Career.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
With Christmas just around the corner many of us are on the hunt for the perfect gift for our friends and loved ones. None of us want our thoughtful presents to simply end up dusty, sitting at the back of the gift receiver's closet for eternity. That's why it's important give gifts that are not only fun, but also useful.
Deciding on what to give a translator can be tricky, so here's a few recommendations – to make your life easier! These suggestions are Translation Journal's staff personal favorites, as well as translators themselves who submitted these suggestions to us. We hope you enjoy!
1. Books! There is an abundance of books out there that are great for both improving translator's skills in their profession and for simple enjoyment. One 'classic' I can recommend it Peter Newmark's, "A Textbook of Translation", which is a great resource for students and practitioners of the trade alike.
2. Translator Coffee Mug- A reminder that not all heroes wear capes!
3. Coffee First then Interpret T-Shirt - A t-shirt to remind us of life's priorities.
4. A Day in Tea Set - It's important that all translators set aside some time to relax throughout the day and what a better way to do so than with some calming tea. This tea set with loose leaves chosen to be enjoyed at different times throughout the day is a reminder to your translator friend to take some time to themselves at different points throughout the day.
5. World Map Laptop/Computer Sticker – They say languages transports you to another world yet translators often find themselves stuck in front of their computer. Give your friend the international experience and the world (quite literally) at their fingertips with this inexpensive world map sticker.
6. Multilingual Christmas Card- Looking for a card you accompany your present? Look no further than this handmade, multilingual Christmas card.
7. Great Outdoors National Park Candles - With these candles any translator can enjoy the beautifully fresh scent of the outdoors whilst sitting in front of their computer getting work done!
8. Mason Jar Measuring Cups - Perfect for that practical translator on your list. Compact and stackable ceramic cups with appealing vintage aqua blue design ideal to display on countertop.
9. Essential Oils Aromatherapy Gift Set - For the translator to help them feel ground and less stressed.
10. Francophile Dinner Plate -These plates created by Nathalie Lete a designer who studied design at the Art Applieque's Duperre. She is well known for her childhood memory-inspired paintings, ceramics and textiles, jewelry and toys.
11. Amazon Gift Voucher - With an amazon gift voucher, you give them the luxury of choice with over 750,000 books to select from.
12. Kindle or Other E-Book Reader – if you can afford to spend a little extra money this purchase is definitely worth it!
We hope this list has been helpful to you. Let us know if you've purchased/received any of these gifts and your thoughts on them! We welcome your feedback, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.